Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Tropical Mango Teal


This quilt was shown last Spring in a Quilt show put on by my quilt guild, Empire Quilters Guild.  



This Exhibit celebrated our Guild’s 35th Anniversary & was held at Fashion Institute of Technology (in NYC).


This photo is shot outdoors in natural day light; it really shows the color better & more ‘true’.



Really lovely, these patterns.  Most credit & praise go to Hoffman Fabrics, as it's from their Bali Pops & it's also their pattern, even in the same colorway as shown in their offering.

A close of up these exquisite batiks from Hoffman Fabrics.



So it's almost a copy, which is why I only showed it to share & enjoy, didn't have it judged.  I bought them for me, these Bali Pops, as I'd become so smitten with the collection.  

The only difference is they (Hoffman) bordered it in teal, no inner border or outer decorative border as here, which I've added encased in the olive. 



I saw this solid olive fabric & really had to have it for its texture, it's actually 40% linen & I decided not to care about that.   



This is also my first experience with using precut fabrics other than charm squares. It's a huge timesaver since you can just dive directly into piecing. 



It was some time ago, but I recall experimenting with an assembly technique where first one sewed the strips together side by side to about 10" deep, then made a tube of 2 layers of that.  Then using a plastic square ruler on angle, cut triangles of the strips & then combined those triangles into new blocks.


Then later reassembled newly made blocks like this into larger blocks, then rows. Can't say enough about using precuts --- fun, fun, fun!

1 comment:

  1. Karen your work is beautiful. It was great to meet you at Brighton Beach!

    ReplyDelete