Friday, February 6, 2009

And Now for Something Completely Different, Nissei Africans


Perhaps by now one’s thinking: Well, she shows pretty cool work, but I wonder, can she work in colors schemes other than blues? 

This Quilt is called Nissei Africans because the front is so Japanese in spirit and fabrics. The back however, is entirely different and presented earthy, African feeling fabrics to me. The quilting was machine stitched as outline quilting on the front panels with no regard to how it would appear on the back.



So, here’s the completely different quilt (resulting from an amazing quilting class) which changed my life and certainly the nature of my quilt work, likely now and forever. Importantly, it showed me a technique with which to transition from beautiful but traditional quilt patterns to Art Quilts, unique and one of a kind designs informed by my own lifetime of art and design studies.





No comments:

Post a Comment